Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sauteed Shrimp with Feta, Orange and Kalamata Salad


There are people in your life that you believe will always be there.

You can’t imagine that they would be gone.

It’s just not possible.

They are comfort, love, fun, giving, knowing and there for you no matter what.

I had…have someone in my life that has been there since I was born. She is the mother of my dearest best friend. She has been there for me for almost 54 years and now she is not where I can call her or touch her.

But she’s still with me.

She put up with everything my mother put up with. She loved me no matter what. No matter that she had five children, lots of dogs, a busy husband and me under her feet as often as I could be.

She put up with me calling every Christmas morning at God knows what hour to say Merry Christmas to Nana. I would spend the night at her house most every weekend at least one night…Nana would be at mine the next. My dad would drop me off at the top of their driveway, saying’ don’t come home til you graduate from college“…and her dad would say, as he opened the door into a bustling busy noisy place,…“we don’t want any“…but he’d let me in anyway.

Her parents would go out and leave us to tend to the flock…three boys and a girl…Lord knows what they were doing…we’d be in the kitchen testing out a recipe…Lemon Icebox Pie , Nashville One Pan Fudge Cake…or upstairs jumping up and down on their bed, smoking Marlboro cigarettes the maid had left in a secret hidey hole that we would find…listening to her dad’s Tom Lehrer albums or memorizing Fannie Flagg’s Rally Round the Flagg, or reading John Updike’s Couples and hiding the book under a chair in the den when they came home early one night.

It was my second home.

When I got in to the catering business, she was there. Always getting something from me to serve..so she wouldn’t have to think about food. A child gets married, can you cater it. I’m having some people in for dinner, what kind of casserole do you have? We’re going out to dinner but need an hors d’oeuvre with drinks before hand.

Always, always giving me the freedom to cook and learn..on her. Whenever I needed support., she was there.

It’s been a long week since she left us.

The world is the same but not.
Food is the same but not.

I came home late and had to throw something together to feed Groom and our souls.
Something that would show us comfort, love, fun, giving, knowing, familiarity and taste good at the same time.

She would have loved this.



Sauteed Shrimp Salad with Feta, Orange and Kalamata Salad

10 large shrimp, peeled tail on
A couple of swirls extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes

Heat small sauté pan over medium heat and add oilive oil. When wavy add the shrimp and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes.

Cook til pink and remove from heat. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper

A handful of Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1 small handful of fresh Italian parsley chopped (add a little chopped frsh mint if you like)
A couple of Cara Cara oranges peeled and sectioned and cut in half
2 ounces feta cheese slightly cubed
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces

A good splash of seasoned rice wine vinegar,
1 small touch of Dijon mustard (1 tsp of creamy Dijon)
couple of swirls of extra virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the dressing in ingredients in bottom of salad bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss well, put in butter lettuce lined bowl and serve.

Serves 2 generously.

Click here for a printable recipe!


One Year Ago on Feeding Groom
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

annie said...

What a beautifully written memory. I was right there with you at her house! The salad sounds good, too....

Jennifer Hess said...

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry for your loss. Seems there's a lot of pain and sadness going around lately, but I'm glad you have good memories to comfort you. Big hugs.