Thursday, July 9, 2009

Santa Fe Summer Pot


It’s hot. Seriously hot.

It may be too hot to cook, but it’s never too hot to eat.

Yet again, I find myself standing in front of the fridge, thinking to myself….what the hell am I going to come up with tonight. All day long, saving the world, one loan at a time, and coming home and knowing I’ve got killer ingredients in house, but no idea what to do with them.

The last thing I want to do is heat up the kitchen. There are dogs and cats on every A/C vent they can find, while I’m enjoying the cool air from the freezer as I root around to see what might be good.

Then, the big light bulb goes off.

I remember a recipe I read by The Splendid Table chicks called Santa Fe Summer Pot.

I don’t have to turn on the oven, or thaw something out.

Brilliant.

Santa Fe Summer Pot
Adapted from The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Supper

The Summer Pot’s Sauce:

¼ cup fresh lime juice
3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
½ jalapeno, seeded and minced
1- ½ tsp ground coriander
1-½ tsp ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine these ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for ten minutes.

2 large tomatoes, chopped
About a 1/3 cup fresh cilantro

Put the tomatoes and cilantro in food processor and do a couple of pulses. Add onion mixture and pulse it five times. Set aside.


½ cucumber, peeled, sliced lengthwise in half and then in half moons
½ large ripe avocado, diced
1/2 pound left over roasted chicken, diced (can use cooked shrimp)
1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed
Tortilla chips
Goat cheese to taste
Extra fresh cilantro as a garnish
1 lime, quartered

Divide the cukes, avocado, chicken and beans between three large bowls. Put as much Summer Pot’s Sauce as you like on top, crush tortilla chips and sprinkle on top and garnish with a sprinkle of goat cheese, cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

Serves three generously.
And there’s plenty of Summer Pot’s Sauce left over to use as a dip with tortilla chips the next day.

Cilck here for a printable recipe!

One Year Ago on Feeding Groom
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

My name is Susan and I work with a high traffic cooking site called www.cookeatshare.com. I have tried a few recipes of yours and was very impressed. We would like to make you a featured chef on our site in August or September. Our "featured chef" section, which is at the very top of our home page, gets tremendous exposure to our over 300,000 monthly visitors. You can see it here...www.cookeatshare.com. The featured chef also gets exposure in our monthly newsletter, which goes out to a very broad audience.

We are a cooking social network for professional chefs and foodies. We've grown rapidly over the past year and now reach over 300,000 unique visitors on a monthly basis. We've had great write ups in the Daily Candy, Eater, San Jose Mercury News, Orange County Register, and many other reputable sites.

We really like the recipes and other content you post , which is why we'd like to make you a featured chef. You can link back to your blog from your profile and from your recipes, so this is truly a win-win. Creating a profile and uploading recipes can be done in just a few minutes, and I can help as much as you need me to.

You can reach me at susan@cookeatshare.com. Or just sign up on CookEatShare and send me a message through the site. My profile name is Susan Spires. I look forward to working with you!



- Susan