Thursday, January 3, 2008

Scallops with Fresh Ginger and Sauteed Leeks



Lighten up is the theme around here as the festivities slow down and life gets back to normal. Knowing us, this won‘t last. Anyhoo, I was totally uninspired in the dinner department tonight until I picked up Mark Bittman’s Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times and started flipping through the pages. Groom loves scallops, and hasn‘t had anything that swims in a long time. I came across the recipe for Stir-Fried Leeks with Ginger and Shrimp. Bye, bye shrimp, hello scallops! I was off like a shot to the pantry to be sure I had some dry sherry because that would bring the sweetness out of the scallops. Leeks were hanging out in the refrigerator sending mental messages to me. This was terrific! Plus, it looks damn good on my grandmother’s china. Groom lit the candles. A round of applause for the chef.

Scallops with Fresh Ginger and Sauteed Leeks*

A couple of swirls extra virgin olive oil
2 large leeks, washed and chopped…use the white part only
6 -8 large sea scallops, patted dry
2 tbsp peeled minced fresh ginger
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
A good splash dry sherry.. I used Lustau Escuadrilla, a great dry sherry for cooking

Do a couple of swirls of extra virgin olive oil in a nonstick skillet and heat over medium high heat. When it shimmers, add the leeks. They can sit for a minute or two and then stir occasionally until they are soft and start to turn brown. This takes about 10 minutes. Remove leeks from pan.
Add a swirl of extra virgin olive oil to hot pan and add scallops and sprinkle with the fresh ginger. Cook til golden brown on one side..doesn’t take long at all, turn the scallops and add the leeks back to the pan. Season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste and a good splash of the dry sherry. Let cook a couple of minutes til the scallops are done and you are good to go!
Serves 2-3.
*(I’m not a stir-fryer)

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Helene said...

This scallop dish lloks wonderfully light and bright Mary!
Thansk for sharing your story about your mom's Charlotte Russe. I loved it!
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Check you out -- back to the daily dinner grind! At my house, we are still eating vegetable trays and cheese platters. Tonight is my first foray back into cooking -- duck breast with pomegranate molasses.

So why aren't you a stir-fryer?

Mary Coleman said...

Tartelette: There are plenty more mother and food stories to come! I hadn't thought about that in years til I read your blog.

Fluff, if I may call you that:
And what time is dinner, my dear?

Mary Coleman said...

Fluff...I've never done well with the stir frying thing. I don't know why...I'm working on it.