Saturday, February 7, 2009

Korean Short Ribs



Short ribs. Again.

It’s gotten to be a compelsion, which is a compulsion with a mind of its own.

Compelsions make plans for you, you don’t make plans for compelsions.

You make a list and head to the grocery. Once in the electronic doors, the compelsion takes over..

It’s like I have blinders on. My eyes glaze over. What list?

I walk straight past the produce, the fish, the bakery and head straight to the meat counter.

Next thing I know, I’m in the check out line with a bag of dark chocolate M&Ms and 5 pounds of short ribs.

Groom is dispatched with haste back to the store to get what was on my list in the first place. He doesn’t have compelsions. Unless it’s about a song. And you can’t eat that.

This recipe is from the massive yellow Gourmet Cookbook. It requires little or no talent in the kitchen at all ( a first for something from Gourmet) ,a grill and a bit of prior planning. And for your minimal effort, you get a rich, sticky, caramelized short ribs that need little more than a bit of rice, maybe a salad and those dark choco M&Ms.

And, maybe, a compelsion.

I’m starting a support group.

Korean Short Ribs
Adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook

4-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
3-5 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
Couple of dashes Worcestershire
Couple of dashes fish sauce
4 swirls toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 spoonful garlic confit
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Sprinkle the short ribs with the sugar on both sides, cover with plastic and let sit in fridge four hours. (they can sit up to eight hours in fridge with just the sugar on them).

Put everything but scallions in blender and whirl together. Add the scallions and pour over the short ribs and let marinate minimum 2 hours.

Grill 15 minutes total. let sit for five.

Serves 4 generously.

Click here for a printable recipe!
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll join your support group; my compelsion (love the term) usually takes the form of various cheeses leaping into my cart, but I know just what you mean.

And what I wouldn't give for one or several of these ribs right now. They're one of my favorite things to grill -- you know, when it isn't 20 degrees out...grumble, grumble. :)

Mary Coleman said...

I'm so glad to have you in group!!!
:)

Peter M said...

Korean short ribs are one of my new favourites...great in the summer on the grill.

Zoomie said...

Wow, that sounds really delicious - I'm feeling compelled to go to the grocery store!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

short ribs
are amazing
but
also are
the enemy
(right now)
along with cheese

it's a total heartbreaker...