Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Honey and Cinnamon Baked Granola with Dates, Golden Raisins and Nuts


I love granola. Seriously.
I love it.
But I have had a love hate relationship with it. Maybe that’s too strong of a description of our affair.
I love to eat it, I totally hate to make it.
No, that’s not right. I don’t totally hate to make it.
I forget to make it and I totally hate that I do that because it means that I have to eat the store bought highly sugared not so very good for you granola that doesn’t taste a bit like what I can make at home.

I’ve talked about Richard Sax and Marie Simmons’s cookbook, Lighter Quicker Better in several posts. It is one of the better healthy eating cookbooks around. Having only done “dinner items” from the book, and searching for a granola recipe, I came across theirs.

I haven’t looked back.

You can add or subtract ingredients. Dates sometimes, almonds others, walnuts always. Golden raisins sometimes, dried apricots or blueberries, or all of the above. And it’s baked in honey and cinnamon with a touch of oil.

So you get good granola, that’s good for you.

I love that!

Honey and Cinnamon Baked Granola with Dates, Golden Raisins and Nuts
Adapted from Lighter Quicker Better by Richard Sax and Marie Simmons

2 cups old fashioned or quick cooking oats, not instant
1-½ cups chopped nuts…walnuts, pecans or almonds
¾ cup raisins, golden or dark, dates or any dried fruit you like
2 tbsp canola oil
½ cup wild honey
1 tbsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 350.

Spread the oatmeal, nuts, and raisins in 13 x 9 pan.

In small saucepan, combine oil, honey and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Pour over the oatmeal mix in pan and stir to combine.

Bake 25-30 minutes stirring often til mixture is golden.

Makes about three cups. Store in plastic bag or airtight jar.

Click here for a printable recipe!

One Year Ago on Feeding Groom
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: