Sunday, August 9, 2009

Spiced Peach and Nectarine Jam with Candied Ginger




Vanilla sugar, the ripest peaches and nectarines.

Cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks.

Lemon juice.

Candied ginger.

Pure gold in a jar for cold, gray and snowy day to come.


Spiced Peach and Nectarine Jam with Candied Ginger
Adapted from Ball Blue Book of Preserving

1 quart peeled, pitted and chopped peaches and nectarines (about 8)
7 cups vanilla sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1 large cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp whole allspice
1 pouch liquid pectin
½ cup candied ginger

Put fruit, sugar and lemon juice with spices in a large, deep saucepan over bringing slowly to a boil until sugar melts. Add liquid pectin and boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Skim off any foam. Add the ginger.
Ladle into hot pint jars and put tops and rims on the jars. Process in hot boiling water for 15 minutes.
Remove from water bath and let cool. When tops pop, tighten lids and store.

This batch made 5 pints.

Click here for a printable recipe!

One Year Ago on Feeding Groom
Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

Jennifer Hess said...

Mary, Mary, Mary, that photo is stunning. Gold in a jar, indeed!

Mary Coleman said...

Thank you so much, Jen! It was Groom's suggestion and "the perfect slant of light."

shannonstoney said...

When I made the Ball Blue Book version of this, the fruit floated a lot. This happened again today when I made pickled peaches. I wonder if the fruit eventually sinks? With okra pickles, it does.

pam said...

Beautiful! I bet this is wonderful!

Amy (Minimally Invasive) said...

Gorgeous photo, and how delicious must that jam be? I love candied ginger. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That Jam sure sounds good. I can just imagine how well those flavors compliment each other.

Colloquial Cook said...

Aaargh you are killing me!!! I'm getting the old copper basin out of the cupboard NOW!

Unknown said...

do you take out the cinnamon stick, cloves, and allspice before jarring the jam or do you grind the spices? I'm totally making this!

Unknown said...

Do you leave the whole spices in the jam and jar them, fish them out, or grind them? I'm totally making this!

Mary Coleman said...

Les I leave the spices whole and then take them out at the end.
I hope you were successful with this! I'd love to hear how it turns out!