Saturday, March 8, 2008

Caramel Fudge Cake



When I was growing up, sweets were around the house, but I didn’t want to know where.

Why, you ask?


Because then there wouldn’t be any sweets around the house, they would be inside of me. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t eat them, but there was most definitely a problem with self control.


I have none.


There were a few things that my mother baked that made self control pack its little bag and catch the first cab out of my brain. Chief among these irresistibles was Caramel Fudge Cake. This is the stuff that sweet dreams are made of. One bite and you’re transported to a happy place waving bye bye to self control and hello to all out gluttony.


So in the interest of helping you, dear reader, know more about me, I humbly offer the recipe for these toothsome morsels, a phrase I have always wanted to use in a sentence. A bite of pure happiness, chocked full of walnuts, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla.


Caramel Fudge Cake

2 sticks butter
2 cups chopped walnuts
4 cups dark brown sugar
4 eggs, separated (whites beaten till stiff)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 325.

Melt the butter and add the sugar and mix well. Beat the egg yolks, add a little of the butter sugar mix to warm them and then gradually beat in all the sugar butter mix. Sift flour and baking powder and add to egg and sugar mix. Add nuts, vanilla and beaten egg whites. Mix until well blended together. This is something you do by hand. Do not use a mixer.

Butter 2 glass 8x8 pans and divide batter between the two.
Bake for 45 minutes and cool in the pan. Cut in squares and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar or a little French grey sea salt, as shown in the picture above. So good.

Should make 18 unless you eat some of the dough.

Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this would not last more than 3 minutes in my house. dangerous!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

bookmarked...

Anonymous said...

I have no "off" switch when it comes to sugar, as you may remember. I've given it up for Lent, darn you. My favorite sweet of all is the black walnut bars we made once a year with walnuts from our yard, using pretty much this exact formula.

Listen, a couple food bloggers are going to Phat Bites Tuesday at noon. Food's great. Want to come along?

Mary Coleman said...

Thanks for the comments, ya'll.
I had to give this stuff away today because it was starting to become something to eat on the way through my kitchen!
And Fluffernutter I do remember you did love something sweet! I'll be in touch re tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Mary:

The problem with all of this stuff is that I start reading these posts at night and then have to a slice or a whole pie before I go off to sleep. Fortnately, it is not easy for me to bake right now. My Welbilt oven is the size of a breadbox. It actually works but I don't recommend using it on a daily basis.

democommie

Joy said...

Nooooo I have no self-control either and this looks yummy. Oh dear.