Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Soba Noodles with Shrimp, Napa Cabbage and Cashews



I developed a love for soba noodles during the RENOVATION.

Sorry, didn’t mean to shout. That’s just how the word looks in my head when I remember what was happening in this house a year ago. Plumgood Food, an online grocery here in town had soba noodles as one of their pre-prepared foods. We ate a lot of them during THAT TIME.

Loved them.

Knew one day I would try my hand at them.

Bought some soba.

Part of the importance of having a well stocked pantry is the fact that when something falls off the shelf onto your head, you have a eureka moment and can immediately launch into preparing it.
Apparently the my little package of noodles decided it was time to shine and threw themselves on my head when I was getting some cat food out for the feline departments dinner.

I never ignore a sign from above.

A little while later I am slicing and dicing the veggies and eating the cashews. Cashews that are meant to be a part of this recipe, but were running a big chance of not making it into the final product til Groom hid them from me until the last minute.

The dressing sounds and is so good … lime juice, dark brown sugar, toasted sesame oil, pickled ginger, fish sauce (well that part didn’t sound wonderful, but it does add that certain “je ne sais quoi “to the recipe), tossed with hot soba noodles, Napa cabbage, radishes, shredded carrots, chopped green onions, sliced red peppers and to top it all off, stir fried shrimp. Or as I like to call them, quickly sautéed since I don’t stir fry.

Once dinner is ready, I put my feet on a raised pillow so they don’t swell anymore than they already have from the cashews and enjoy this meal with Groom.

This would be great with tofu, if I was a tofu person, which I am not, or scallops, some mushrooms, chicken…what ever. Use your imagination.

You never know.

Inspiration may drop on your head one night.

Soba Noodles with Shrimp, Napa Cabbage and Cashews

1 lime, juiced
¼ cup orange juice
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I’ll fess up. I used olive because that’s what I have, but vegetable oil will do fine)
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp toasted red chili paste
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
4 tbsp toasted rice vinegar
1 tbsp chopped pickled ginger
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped fresh mint

Combine ingredients for dressing and let sit while you chop, slice, dice the rest of the ingredients.

1 small head Napa cabbage. sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup shredded carrots
6 radishes, sliced
2 green onions, chopped
4 ounces soba noodles
12 shrimp, tail on, quickly sautéed/stir fried until done
As many cashews as you want to throw in with everything or eat yourself
Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish

Cook the soba noodles for 8 minutes.

Put the sliced Napa cabbage in a large colander. Drain the noodles over the Napa cabbage. And put the noodle cabbage mix in large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss with the dressing.

Serves 3 generously.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening, Mary:

Both the noodles and the stuffed beefsteak look delicious.

I just finished a plate of capellini and some sauce I made last week with sausage, pork loin, bacon, shrooms, onions, lotsagarlic and a jar of sauce that I didn't want to waste ( I should have, it's too sweet). I added some nice shrimp and a nice grating of pecorino with black pepper.

I'm down to one room left to gut--the one I'm camped in. I am so tired of dust already and I have at least 6 more months of it to look forward to. Aieeeeee!!

I still haven't got a floor plan but I think I'm going to do the first floor and make it livable and tackle the upstairs finish work later. I want to make my own tile for the bathrooms, so things will not be zipping right along.

democommie

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Newburyport, MA and the seacoast over Easter week. I need a little face time with some good friends. I

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Thats very cool! I have never had soba noodles before. They sound, and look really yummy! I think that i will put them on my grocery list!